Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Blackle

As some of you know, I am a big fan of Google - they have everything! Web site builder, calendar, documents, and much more. Also, it's supposed to be a really great place to work. I recently discovered "Blackle" which is the same thing as Google, only in an energy-saving format. Apparently an all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts.

I also read recently about Greenpeace Brazil's "Black Pixel Project." You download a program that makes a 50X50 pixel black square on your monitor (you can move it anywhere you want), which results in less energy being used. For more, read here.

Both ideas only make a difference if lots of people try it. That's one reason I like the environmental movement - I actually feel like I can make a difference.

4 comments:

P. Jacobs said...

You're a racist if you don't use Blackle.

P. Jacobs said...

It's acually pretty cool how much power blackness saves. I guess I should change this blog to a more power-saving color?

pjacobs51 said...

I posted the Greenpeace thing on Current a couple of days ago. But according the computer geeks, the black box only works on the old CRT monitors. On the new flatscreens it still takes the same amount of energy for black as any other color. :(

Alli said...

Aww man...that stinks.