Friday, April 30, 2010

Decision

So, I decided to move to Lawrence, KS sometime very soon.  Probably as soon as I can secure a job.  I have a good friend at Garmin and they hire a lot of Rollites, so I have a good chance there.  I'm starting to get bored of Seattle (and I'm moving to Kansas?), and it's not working out job-wise anyway.  Also, someone has to train Kelly Jr in martial arts.  In any case, this is a nice city and I'm going to miss it, but I'd rather be close to friends and family.

So, anyone have any ideas how to move all my crap?

16 comments:

Mrs. Corbett said...

Great news!! Looking forward to having you close(r). Here's what I've found out about working at Garmin:

Company Rating (5pt scale)
Career Opportunities 3.4
Communication 3.6
Compensation & Benefits 3.8
Employee Morale 3.9
Recognition & Feedback 3.4
Senior Leadership 3.7
Work/Life Balance 4.2
Fairness & Respect 3.9
3.6

Employees are "Satisfied"


Recent Awards & Accolades
100 Fastest Growing Companies, Fortune, 2009
America's Top Companies, Forbes, 2009

Alli said...

Whoa! That is huge news! The selfish part of me is really excited to have you closer so that Kelly Jr can learn martial arts and so that you can come to more of our baseball games. The unselfish part of me (yes, it exists) is bummed out that Seattle didn't work out for you. However, Lawrence seems really cool!

Dee Dee said...

How exciting!! You'll find a job in no time. I'm not sure about moving your stuff. The cheapest way is probably to rent a small U-Haul and drive, although "cheapest" probably isn't that cheap. Or sell most of your stuff and use the money to buy more when you get there. If it's smaller stuff, I'm not sure how much it costs to carry it in the cargo of a plane... probably a lot.

Mrs. Corbett said...

How are much are Pods?

Kelroy said...

Garmin has some good stats!

Well, the estimate for a UHaul was like $1k, and that wouldn't include the money I would spend on food and stuff. Maybe I can just rent a van or something...

I was looking into Pods too but I couldn't find a price.

Mrs. Corbett said...

I read somewhere that 1800packrat is the same kind of thing as a Pod, but less expensive. Couldn't get an online price quote from them without giving them more details.

I think you may want to follow Hemingway's advice on writing revisions and "Kill your darlings" Sell everything but the uke!

BlueJackets9 said...

I'd do Alli's idea of just selling all your big stuff, that's what I did in the Marines, its just easier. You won't get back what you paid, but you won't lose more in shipping charges.

There was a famous Confederate raid in Lawrence KS. Jeannine should know all about it. Now Mary will be all alone.

Kelroy said...

Yeah, I was planning on getting rid of my furniture and other big things. Biggest thing I want to take is probably my bike.

Mrs. Corbett said...

You may have to Kill Your Darlings

I can't think off the top of my head an inexpensive way to ship a bike--Yellow Freight?

heyyoujeannine said...

Pods are kind of expensive. I looked into one about 5 years ago but it was about $500/month to load up and store the stuff. Getting rid of the big stuff might be your best bet. Sorry Seattle didn't work out for you but at least KS is closer to home. As for the bike, no suggestions but they probably won't let you take it on an airplane (hee hee).

Yes there was a huge raid in Lawrence KS during the Civil War. Just a few days after that raid the Union army decided to force the evacuation of four MO counties to try and flush out the southern sympathizers. It was a good plan, but they had no follow through so the guerillas came right back.

Mrs. Corbett said...

I'm thinking you should keep the bike as a memento of your Seattle experience.

heyyoujeannine said...

I should also point out that the price for the Pod I referenced above is not only 5 years old it is for moving between two points in the same state. God only knows how much they will charge you to move your stuff halfway across the country.

pjacobs51 said...

Out of the Emerald City and back to Kansas . . . there's a story in there somewhere. Just click your heels together 10,000 million times and . . .

The old van (Ol' Shatner) might be up for another trip, but that's a big maybe. Might be cheaper to rent one from there and drive, drive, drive.

Alli said...

If it were me, I would probably just rent a van, pack up the things I wanted to keep and could fit in the van, and drive back over 2-3 days (or however long it would take). It would be really exhausting to do all of that driving, but maybe one of your non-pregnant siblings/friends could fly up to seattle one-way, help you pack the van, and drive back with you. Unforunately, I am not allowed to be on a plane, or drive that distance right now.

P. Jacobs said...

Cool news! Sorry that Seattle got boring and stuff, but now you'll have a lot more fun and have a lot more moneys in Lawrence (It's probably a bit cheeper to live in Kansas than in Seattle, too). If ya need help moving, I'm sure a few of us can look into going up there!

Kelroy said...

I like the renting the van idea. Anyone want to drive with me? If not I can talk Sam into it.

Also, I'm hoping whatever company I get a job at gives me moving money, but if not I might need help. Still broke :(