Well another school year is coming to a close so I thought I would take a moment to catch everyone up on what I have been doing, whether you are interested or not.
First of all my first museum exhibit opens June 5, 2010 at the National Afro-American Museum and Cultural Cemter in Wilberforce Ohio. The exhibit is called "Before it was Art: Cultural Connections to African Art" and features lots of items that people collect today but were created for actual reasons. Some things were used in religious practices, curtural practices, and just every day use. I got to reserach the musical instruments and I did a good job if I do say so myself (my instructor says so also). I only have one major unanswered question from my research: What does it mean to play an instrument open or stopped? I had to write a label for a harp-lute and I have no idea what that means (if I can get an answer soon I can update my label). Everyone is welcome to attend the opening, we are serving refreshments.
Second, I just finished creating a website! We had to use xhtml coding and a style sheet. We also had to use the collection we processed last quarter as the subject matter. Mine was Dayton: A Peace Process. You can learn all about it by going to www.wright.edu/~jacobs.39 where you can see my beautiful work. Make sure you click on all the links at the bottom. One of those links directs you to the finding aid I created last quarter. The list at the end of the document is a list of all of the folders in the collection. These are the folders I mislabeled then had to relabel by hand last quarter. In case you are wondering the re-labeling took 14 hours and I am finally starting to get feeling back in my hand.
Well better get some rest. We start installing the exhibit tomorrow so I'd better be rested and ready to go. Hopefully I will have some pictures to post soon.
3 comments:
Cool site! I looked at your code and your stylesheet, they are very well organized. Did you draw the dove?
No, I scanned it from a piece of art that was in the collection. Drawing is not one of my strong points.
Geez, that looks like it must have been a lot of work! Looks really professional. Can I have your autograph?
Post a Comment