Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's about time I made a post, eh?



Sorry, just haven't had anything you might want to hear. Still don't as I doubt that there will be any takers, but should you enjoy Young Adult fiction, feel free to attend my first "author event" this coming Friday.

Susan Pfeffer, author of Life As We Knew It (the book the big green Alien is reading) and The Dead and the Gone, will be spending the day IN MY LIBRARY talking with MY STUDENTS this coming Friday! Yeah, baby!!

Life As We Knew It has spent some time on the Bestseller List, and the follow-up novel, The Dead & the Gone had a nice review in this weekend's New York Times Book Review
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/09/books/review/Green-t.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
Anyway, I hope this is an adequate post. Wait! Maybe I should describe what the whole nervousness thing this event planning is doing to my innards! Do want to hear the details?

Ha! I thought not.

5 comments:

Kelroy said...

I'd go if I could! This is a pretty cool author to visit schools like this

Mrs. Corbett said...

Kelroy,
She's wicked cool, but she did have a price, so I won a grant to cover the costs. A representative from the grant folk is coming to observe and go through my records, so I've got that going for me too. Hope I'm lucid.

pjacobs51 said...

"Life As We Knew It" sounds like another book I read called "The Jupiter Effect" Except it was based on science and nothing really happened in 1980, except Mt. St. Helens, and maybe a few other miniture disasters.

Mrs. Corbett said...

I think I remember "The Jupiter Effect"--didn't read it, but there was a lot of excitement and talk over it.

I think Pfeffer has got some critisism from scientists on her fictional books, because the events described are unlikely or maybe even impossible. Still, there's that artist's license thing.

pjacobs51 said...

"The Jupiter Effect" was about all the planets lining up on one side of the sun in 1980. The effects were to last some 20 or 30 years. Even though seismic activity has increased some 75% over that time, the auther disclaims his theories.

But since then: major earthquakes in San Francisco, Turkey, Iran, Japan, the big Christmas Tsunami, and the big one in China this year, kind-of makes you wonder...