Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Flexitarianism and me

As you know from my last grossly over-worded and long post, I am trying to take better care of the environment.  The last few months, I have been slowly changing my diet to eat less meat, as the meat industry is very bad for the environment.  From the grain and water to hormones, land, pesticides, CO2 given off by the animals, it seems to be a better choice to eat more vegetables rather than more meat.  Plus, the average American eats way more meat than they actually need.

I thought it would be hard, but it's actually really easy for me!  I have a few vegetarian recipes, but I have mostly been preparing normal recipes and subbing out the meat.  I still eat meat sometimes, which apparently means I am a "flexitarian" but I think I may eventually give it up and become a "lacto-ovo vegetarian" which means I would still eat dairy products and eggs.  It would probably be better to give those up too, but that would be much more difficult and I am lazy (and love cheese, milk, ice cream, butter, etc...).  I'm taking a vitamin to help out with some of the nutrients that only meat has (B12, etc...).  I used to not eat very many vegetables, but am starting to like them more and find more ways to prepare them.  So far I haven't eaten any fake meat.  Just a lot of beans and some peanut butter.  I am thinking about trying some vegetarian sausage to put in Spaghetti, lasagna, etc...- I tried some once and I couldn't tell the difference.

I still don't think I can ever give up barbecue or fried chicken.  I don't think it matters if I eat meat occasionally anyways - every little bit helps.  

I am disturbed at how far the food that I eat travels to get to my plate.  I just ate grapes from Chile and a can of pineapple from Italy (didn't think they had pineapple there? Maybe they ship it from elsewhere?). I've been trying to pay attention to where my food is coming from and may start trying to buy things from this continent only.  Also thinking about trying to only eat locally grown vegetables and fruit this summer.  Kind of like a lazy 100 mile diet (only eat things from 100 miles away).  Plus, I am growing lettuce and oregano on my balcony!  I might can some locally grown green beans and tomatoes too.   Plus, Mykl's parents said that if we help them build another raised bed (garden) that we could plant some food there.  I want to grow green beans, zucchini, tomatoes, and maybe some corn.   But I usually have a black hand of death when it comes to plants - maybe I can get over it!

7 comments:

BlueJackets9 said...

I just gave up Cocane cause that comes all the way from South America. I'll just smoke my own home grown weed. Yea write.

Kelroy said...

You know, this new fascination of yours is starting to seem like it could become an area of expertise, hmm? Like, career-wise?

P. Jacobs said...

A Flexitariologist perhaps? Really though, good stuff here. You've inspired me to eat some vegitables some time in the future.

BlueJackets9 said...

What if the car you drive was built in another country, then shipped accross the ocean, then put on the back of a semi, then shipped to Columbus but it gets over 30 mpg in the city? Can I still vote.

Alli said...

Joey, I think you just have to think about the big picture.

Your car may have been shipped overseas, but your car's good gas mileage (especially on the highway) in my opinion outweighs the shipping in being good for the environment.

Why so bitter about the environment? I put up with all of your hockey junk!

BlueJackets9 said...

I was just making fun of you and your values. I thought that was what we did in this family. You make fun of my stuff, I make fun of your stuff. I'll never do it again. You can keep making fun of my stuff if you want, I think its pretty funny.

BlueJackets9 said...

He he, horse shoes in hockey, thats a good one Kelly