Sunday, June 22, 2008

Alli is a lazy bum

This has been a very strange summer for me so far! All I'm doing is working at the library part time. No international travel, summer school, or getting married. Weird! So I've been sleeping in a lot, spending time at the pool (not enough to acquire a tan), reading, trying to lose the weight I've gained since getting married, and making mosaics.

I hadn't made any mosaics for a year and a half because I got really mad at the grout on the last mosaics I made. I think I ended up throwing the last one away. But alas, I read up on different ways of grouting mosaics (basically ignoring the directions on the grout container) and am using a different kind of grout so I think all will be well. So far I've just been "crazy laying" mosaics with pieces that are already broken into random pieces - kind of like a puzzle. I really want to start cutting pieces into the shapes that I want them to be in - so I got a new tile-cutting bit for my dremmel the other day. We'll see if it works! I looked for some cool tile but I had trouble finding what I wanted. Oh well, I'll find something. I got some cool stuff to cover with mosaics at the Goodwill. Hoorah recycling!

I checked out some library books (surprise!) about mosaics for some inspiration. A lot of the stuff is just corny arts-and-crafts-ish projects, but the last book I checked out has actual art in it. My hero is Gaudi - I really wanted to see his mosaics in Barcelona. They are amazing!

Speaking of the library, it's time for "Confessions of an Evil Children's Librarian." I'm really sick of Summer at the library. Every day about a million kids come in and ransack the entire building. No, we don't have any more Pokemon books! We also have no Hannah Montana anything. Then there's the Summer Reading Club. Every time a kid comes in for a prize, I have to act really excited and proud of the kid and be nice and friendly and librarian-ish. And I've had to explain the game board about a million times - each time faking said excitedness/friendliness. What I really want to do is tell the kid, "Good for you. We're all out of books. Go away." But alas, a few weeks more and I no longer have to feign excitement.
Check Spelling
I have been working on getting ready for the school year off and on. Syllabus writing is a lot more philosophical than I thought. School gave me a key to the classroom I'll be using the first half of the year. I guess the teacher that was there before me let her class run wild - on one of the bookshelves someone wrote in huge letters, "WEED IS MY FRIEND." I'm hoping when I come back in August it won't say that anymore. The second half I will be teaching off of a cart in different rooms. I thought that I would be on a cart the entire year, so I am really excited about having a room the first half of the year! Plus they gave me a laptop that I get to use while I work there. Hoorah!

6 comments:

P. Jacobs said...

When one of my friends became a science teacher, he spent a good portion of the summer cleaning and customizing his class room. You could put spanish Harry Potter posters on the wall or something. "El Undesireablo Numero Uno" for example.

Kelroy said...

POKEMANZ BOOKS I'm trying to catch all of them!

Say, if you ever have too many mosaics, feel free to make me one with a big Mario mushroom.

P. Jacobs said...

Awww, I want a Mario one. Or even a 1-up one would be sweet. Gimme! I payz you muneez!

BFD said...

Maybe after your excellent instruction one of your students will change it to "Jerga es mi amigo", although Mom says the verbage may be francais.

pjacobs51 said...

Don't erase my message, ever!

Hey, look in Sundays paper, there's a new genre of music called "Wizard Rock". Here's a clue, some of the bands names are: Draco and the Malfoys, Tom Riddle and Friends, and The Moaning Myrtles. The article says they are on a national tour and they played somewhere in Missouri at a thing called "Wrockfest". Who would-of thought?

Could you make a mosaic of M.C. Esher making a mosaic?

Alli said...

There's also one called, "Harry and the Potters." They even came "on tour" to the Library Center last summer during all the Potter-Shinanigans. They were pretty awful musically, but it was a good try.

Mario Mushrooms and 1-ups just may be in your future if you're lucky.

I could spend all summer customizing my classroom - but I won't get it all year so I don't know if I should. I almost bought a Harry Potter poster in Spanish in Spain but I was out of money by the time I finally found one. I did get some free posters mailed to me from Spain's national tourism agency. Yay for free!