Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Working on the Webternetz

I have a new job!

I've been the web editor at SBJ for 4 years, and a few weeks ago, a new opportunity just kind of came out of nowhere. I wasn't necessarily looking for a change, but I thought I'd try for it. A grueling interview process later... and I start next month as the Web Content Manager for CoxHealth! I'm a little intimidated to be working for such a huge company. I mean, Cox literally employs more people than the population of my hometown.

The position is strangely similar to my current job, even though media and health care are such different industries. I'll be responsible for coordinating and writing most of the content on Cox's Web site, and using online resources to market the company. "Content" can be anything from articles to video to photos to podcasts. All that fun stuff that I love! I'll also be involved in forming policies for the site, planning new features and promotions, helping to budget for Web expenses, etc. Cox also is wanting to jump into social media somehow, and we all know how much I like social media. I'm excited to figure out a method for that.

I'll be in the Marketing department. That's a major switch for me. This will mark my official departure from journalism. It makes me a little sad. Journalism is what I have a degree in, and there is an excitement that comes with being a journalist. But... I'm ready for a slower-paced, less stressful job. I won't miss having to meet daily deadlines or dropping everything when there's breaking news to cover!

I'm excited. (have I said that yet? ;) ) This job means a lot more opportunities, better pay, and a chance to grow. I don't know when my first day on the job will be yet. I'm thinking Aug. 17, but first I have to get out of jury duty!

Riley and I are going to go out this weekend to celebrate, and also to have one last "hurrah" before his summer vacation ends! Band camp is next week and he would like to have some fun before it starts. We're going to meet up at 7:00 Friday at Springfield Brewing Co. for some appetizers, drinks and socializing. After a while we might mosey somewhere else downtown, but I'm not sure where yet. We would LOVE it if any of you came!

5 comments:

Alli said...

I think Mykl works, but I will be there! Congrats Dee Dee!

pjacobs51 said...

Congrats DD! Well done!

Tip: How to get out of Jury Duty - forever.

Tell them you are Bipolar and your judgement shouldn't be trusted in a court of law.

Worked for me, 15 years and counting. ;)

BlueJackets9 said...

I second the Congrats. Very Very well done. I'm looking for a new part time job, but no rush on that.

A second way to get out of Jury Duty, tell the judge you hate whitey

heyyoujeannine said...

Congrats Dee Dee, that is great news!!! I know you'll do fine. Changing careers can be scary, but this sounds like a great opportunity!!

I can offer nothing about getting out of jury duty. never been there (fingers crossed, knock on wood).

Kelroy said...

Movin' on up! I'll definately be at Brew Co, so just wait for me til I get there (I'll be a little late).

I got out of jury duty before by saying I was in college, but now that I can't do that I'll probably have to act crazy. Maybe I can recite Palin poetry.