For over two decades I have wondered through the dessert, looking for water to quench my thirst for playoff action, many times thinking I had come close, but only find that I was fooled by a mirage. The Royals came close in 2003 but came up short, the Jackets finished just a few points out last season, and Jeff Gordon came really close the first year that I started following Nascar. The worst is having to watch others around me enjoy watching there teams in playoff runs. St. Louis is almost always in the run, and won the World Series a few years ago, Ohio State won the National Championship in 2002 and went back two times more only to lose, but at least they made it, the men's basketball team made it to the Championship game of the NCAA tournament a few years back, the Indians have made it to the world series twice, and had several other playoff runs. The Caves Drafted Lebron James and are the best team in the NBA and have a playoff streak going now. The Bengles and the Browns have even been to the playoffs, Corey got to watch his Stealers win two Super Bowls, even the lowly Columbus Crew won the MLS cup last year. But finally after twenty four years of wondering the dessert (literally in some cases wear oddly enough I had no problem finding water) last night it all came to an end. And fittingly enough it would be Rick Nash in dramatic fashion who would score the tying goal to send us into overtime and give us the point we needed to get to the playoffs for the first time.
10 comments:
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
~ Carl Sagan
"Marta was watching the football game with me when she said, 'You know most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group.'
'Yeah,' I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny."
~Jack Handey
What about golf? No one is trying to stop the ball from going into the hole.
If Sports, something that is real and you can see, feel, touch and smell are a "delusion", then what does that make video games? Plus your Cardinals won the World Searies less then five years ago. You have no room to talk.
Wait... I just wanted to put a funny Jack Handey quote, I don't even like the Cardinals. Why all defensive?
I wish I could spend 24 years in the
"dessert" (I would choose chocolate pudding).
I was talking to your Dad, the golf comment was meant for you, you basterd.
Me never good spelling at. I woudn't spend. I wouldn't recomend spending time in any. Six months was enough for me.
I was just pointing out the similarities between sports and religion. They both have gods and desciples (teams), they both have giant houses of worship ( stadiums/churches), they both have followers by the thousands, they both erupt in violence when you criticize the opposition. The only difference is: in sports, when a god gets old and worn out, they trade him off for a new younger god.
Don't forget the team logos that are like religious symbols. The part that I like best about my religion is there is an off season, so you don't have to worship all year round. I've also noticed a similarity between science and religion. You got a creation story, Adam and Eve our Big Bang, a certain way to live your life, like Green our atheist, and there is an inevitable apocalypse, global warming our meteor. Each require faith, most of science is scientific theory not fact so some faith is necessary.
Post a Comment