Gas prices are ridiculous, and Pat and I have been planning a trip to Michigan for Fourth of July for a while. Some quick math showed me we could expect to pay at LEAST $500 for gas to get there and back. And that's optimistic! So, the other day, we bought train tickets!
We're so excited, me probably a little more than Pat. I have an image in my head of a magical adventure through rolling country hills, like in Harry Potter. Pat is much more realistic! Neither of us has ridden a train before. Has anyone else? We would love any tips.
The best part is that every time I drive by a gas station that tells me it's now $1 million for a gallon of gas, I think of my train ticket and feel like I'm sticking it to the man! See if you'll get my money! Mwahahaha. Of course, I still have to buy gas for everything else, but at least it's something!
Another highlight is that both to Michigan and back, our train has about a 2 1/2-hour layover at Union Station in downtown Chicago, just a block or two from the Sear's Tower. How cool is that? I'm thinking that surely we can do something fun in the Windy City with 2 hours to play with. Does anyone have any advice? Both of us have been to Chicago a couple of times, but we haven't thought of any great ideas on what to do. Whatever we do, it'll be a fun date for our one-year anniversary, which will be the next day! Our trip is July 2-6.
Magical train adventure, here we come!
4 comments:
Well, I once took a magical train ride from Jefferson City to St. Louis. I learned then and there that doing puzzles on a moving train really is not a practical use of time- so I went to the bathroom and someone had left the hugest piece of...well you get the idea. Overall, it really was magical.
Also, If you go to Chicago you have to go to Navy Pier- it really is a great place to hangout with a special someone. Alli and I really enjoyed it there.
I would personally suggest going to the Natural History Museum and the Planetarium, in Chicago. Oh yeah, and close by the Sears Tower is this little restaurant place with the best Deepdish Pizza! Mmm...now I am getting hungry.
Mykl B
Mykl, that bathroom experience really doesn't sound very "magical" to me. I guess everything is "magical" when all you've seen in Jefferson City though.
I went on a couple of trains in Europe, but I didn't go very far - it was more like being in the subway - only above ground. It probably won't be like the movies (or Harry Potter), but it will truly be magical because you will be sticking it to the man!
The Natural History Museum is cool, but you'll need more than a couple of hours to really enjoy it. Navy Pier is fun though! They have a ferris wheel and a Ben and Jerry's and a pirate ship (disguised as a normal one) and a Bubba Gump Shrimp place! We went early evening, so I'm not sure what it's like the rest of the day.
Oh by the way, props on the "I Choo-Choo-Choose You" blog title. Ralph is my favorite!
That sounds like the rejected HP title, Harry Potter And The Biscuit of Irresponsibility. The Dark Lord had some evil schemes in that one.
Post a Comment