The pinnacle of my career so far is here!
For those of you who may not know, I'm the Web editor for a weekly business newspaper here in Springfield. My company just launched a redesign of our Web site on Wednesday, a project that I headed up for about the last year. It has been a l-o-o-o-n-g and tiring process, but also really rewarding and educational. Particularly, the last 6 weeks or so have been chaotic, and this Web site has truly ruled my life! I've been putting in a ton of hours, scrambling to get this behemoth ready for Oct. 1. Our go-live moment came and went with too much of a hitch, thank you Web gods. Now I'm consumed with tracking down and fixing bugs, and there are plenty.
I'm pretty excited about the site. Our previous site provided daily local business news and a few other things, but it was pretty simple. It was fantastic and won us a lot of praise – but technology moves fast, and to keep up in the industry of Internet news, it was time to upgrade a 3-year-old site. The new site is 100 times improved in terms of navigation, I think, but we also have tons of new features, like photo galleries, including ones where people submit their own photos; a blog that our newsroom writes; areas where people can post comments on articles (which is pretty much expected in the industry nowadays); discussion boards; and a bunch of relevant news pulled in from all kinds of other sources.
I would love it if you guys took a look! Feel free to give any feedback, even bad. I always want to make it better. The site is pretty much my baby ;) I'm very attached ... but also a little tired of it after spending so many hours with it over the last few months, ha! Here's a link.
And now that the site is finished, it's time to par-tay! And to take a VERY long nap.
4 comments:
The website looks really nice! I especially like the cycling huge picture-ad of DEE DEE JACOBS on the top of the page! I know a famous person! Here is a list of other things I like: the logo (especially the period), the article about the library, and the website's general "look" - very professional. There's only one thing that I noticed that could be improved. When I clicked on the "Economic impact awards" link, the photos were really small. I know you can click on them to make them bigger, but it would be cool if they were a little bit bigger to begin with. Dee Dee rocks!
For those long code projects, there's nothing better than seeing the finished product.
By the way, you avoided a navigational pet peeve of mine! The menu bar at the top stays on the previous option when you go below it, as opposed to doing something absurd.
Sure is a lot of advertising, what is this, some kind-of business related newspaper or something?
Very nice web page. Abbey was very excited when she saw that pic of you and wanted me to print it, but it wouldn't let me. Seems a little odd that you can't print the pic of the web designer, I'm sure you had nothing to do with that.
Post a Comment